Readathon Fall 2014 :: Let’s Begin!
Dewey’s 24-Hour Read-a-thon tradition dictates that we kick off with the Opening Meme. I’m a total rule follower, so I never skip it.
- What fine part of the world are you reading from today? I’m in the North Texas area, currently staying just northwest of Dallas in a tiny little region with lots of farmland. It’s a temporary location, but there’s a nice little lake view and horses to meet along the road.
- Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? I’m excited to dive deep into Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang, despite its tough subject matter of teen suicide, but I’m also considering a run at The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. After mentioning my hesitancy last night, the lovely Ms. Kirsten took some time to share her encouragement and great love for the book. I’m more inclined to give it a try today than I’ve been all week. Thanks, Kirsten!
- Which snack are you most looking forward to? Oh, I did some serious prep work for this fall’s snacks! It’s the one thing I’ve always just breezed over, preferring to pick up snack foods and take whatever was at my fingertips during the day. This time, however, I made a plan: tamales with homemade queso (my favorite food in the whole world!), Frito Pie with leftover chili (also homemade), some pancakes for the wee night hours, and a little eggs cha han with runny egg to kick off the morning. Yum Yum! [There’s plenty of Coca-Cola, as well, of course.]
- Tell us a little something about yourself! My reading comes in spurts, but I still believe I’m an avid reader. I love movies and TV just as much, but this year has me craving quiet more than ever before. And my greatest joy is spending time with a girl + 3 boys. They are my heart.
- If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? Just last night I had a realization that has changed everything. I always fretted over not starting the readathon at the top of Hour One, usually because I overslept or just couldn’t quite get started. It finally dawned on me that I’m fighting my own nature by trying to do this. I’ve always been a night owl, and mornings just don’t go smoothly for me. I’m never fully awake till lunch! So now, instead of waking up irritated that I chose to sleep in, I decided to embrace it. I’ll spend these first hours of readathon making blog rounds, checking the website, and easing into the day. And then, during the middle hours I’ll be in full-swing for reading and it will take me through the night. I suddenly realized that it’s OKAY to participate less than 24 hours if I need the extra sleep in the morning. I think this will be revolutionary for me!
And so we begin! First up, breakfast, then jumping into my first quick read: From The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg.
Follow me all day (and night!) on Twitter @phreneticmind or sign up below to get updates delivered to your email inbox. See you on the ‘webs!”
awesome image above is from The Readables Tumblr