6 things that make me smile: baseball edition
1. THE CRACK OF THE BAT when you know for certain you’ve just witnessed a home run hit
2. A DIFFICULT DOUBLE PLAY that goes down perfectly
3. THE CHALK DUST THAT GETS KICKED UP when a player is racing to base just ahead of the play
4. BALLPARK DOGS and those giant ice cream cookie sandwiches
5. THE SOUND OF A CATCHER’S MITT when a fast ball hits the pocket at 98 miles per hour
6. ALL-STAR DEREK JETER – his gold glove, his ability to come through in the clutch, his leadership, his obvious joy in playing the game, and the way he seems to be just who you think he is. No other player since my childhood has captivated me the way Jeter does. And he’s a huge part of my continuing love of baseball because he still represents what was good and true about the game.